Ι. Ν. ΑΓΙΟΥ ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟΥ (St. Philip)
Adrianou & Agiou Filippou Sts.,
The church of Agios Philippos is located in the old Athenian neighborhood of Vlassarous, opposite to the entrance of the archaeological site of the Ancient Agora, in the tourist area between Monastiraki and Thesseion.
Architecturally the church belongs to the type of the three-aisle vaulted basilica with a simple gallery and a steeple and it has been built over an older Christian basilica, which is not preserved since it was destroyed by the Turkish army under Kutahi Pasha (1826-1827) during the siege of Athens.
In 1912 the church was renamed to “Agios Philippos Vlassarous” as it merged with the nearby church of Panagia Vlassarous, which was demolished during the excavations at the ancient Agora in the period 1932-1937. Finally, in 1961 the present day church of Agios Philippos was constructed.
The church’s screen was made in 1849 and came from an older church. At the church of Agios Philippos they keep parts from the holy relics of saints, among them the ones of Apostle Philippos. Furthermore, there are also icons from the demolished church of Panagia Vlassarous.