The church of Agios Demetrios on Epimenidou Street, by the Choragic Monument of Lysicrates, in Plaka, is believed to have been built circa 1600. Over the centuries it has expanded with two additions. The church is under the aegis of the larger church of Agios Nikolaos Rangavas, also in Plaka. The church celebrates on October 26th, but it is not functioning all year round.
A marble sign by the quaint entrance of the church testifies to the fact that the hero of the Greek War of Independence of 1821 Athanassios Diakos served there as a deacon.
For a page with Basic Architectural Terminology, including terms used in the description of the ancient Greek temples and the Orthodox churches of Athens, click here!