Agios Ioannis Gargaretas
Ι.Ν. ΑΓΙΟΥ ΙΩΑΝΝΟΥ ΓΑΡΓΑΡΕΤΤΑΣ (St. John of Gargaretta)
17 Veikou St., Koukaki
According to renowned historian of Athens, and, at present, Deputy Mayor of the city Eleftherios Skiadas, the church, made of stone, was founded in 1905 through the donation of the land and a bequest of considerable money by Erasmia Makriyanni, later Erasmia Douzina, the daughter of General Ioannis Makriyannis, one of the major heroes of the Greek Revolution of 1821, and thus is dedicated to St. John, his name patron saint. This fact alone, and the fact that General Makriyannis lived in the area which partly bears his name, gives additional importance to the church, which was concluded in 1952.