Catholic Church of St. Dionysius Areopagitis Panepistimiou & Omirou Sts., Downtown
The land, at the corner of Panepistimiou and Omirou streets in the heart of Athens, had been purchased in 1847, and all necessary studies completed by German architect L. von Klenzef, construction, however, did not begin until 1853 and was frequently interrupted due to a lack of funds. In 1858 architect Lysandros Kaftantzoglou resumed the work, suggesting a more modest, minimalistic approach, in tune with current architectural norms, and suppressing the original belfry, but based on the original plans.
So, the Catholic Church of St. Dionysius Areopagitis was constructed between the years 1853 and 1865 three years after the fall of King Othon. It is a three aisle, cross-in-square style basilica, The portico in the western side has five circular arches. Further work continued until 1875, when the altar, entrance, archbishop’s residence and other secondary buildings were added.
The stain glass decorations were made in Munich in the late 19th c. After 1960, extensive renovations were carried out to restore the church to its original form.