The church of Aghios Philippos is located in the old Athenian neighborhood of Vlassarous, opposite to the entrance of the archaeological site of the Ancient Agora, in the tourist area between Monastiraki and Thesseion.
Architecturally the church belongs to the type of the three-aisle vaulted basilica with a simple gallery and a steeple and it has been built over an older Christian basilica, which is not preserved since it was destroyed by the Turkish army under Kutahi Pasha (1826-1827) during the siege of Athens.
In 1912 the church was renamed to “Aghios Philippos Vlassarous” as it merged with the nearby church of Panaghia Vlassarous, which was demolished during the excavations at the ancient Agora in the period 1932-1937. Finally, in 1961 the present day church of Aghios Philippos was constructed.
The church’s screen was made in 1849 and came from an older church. At the church of Aghios Philippos they keep parts from the holy relics of saints, among them the ones of Apostle Philippos. Furthermore, there are also icons from the demolished church of Panaghia Vlassarous.
For a page with Basic Architectural Terminology, including terms used in the description of the ancient Greek temples and the Orthodox churches of Athens, click here!