Aghios Dionyssios Areopagitis
Ι. Ν. ΑΓΙΟΥ ΔΙΟΝΥΣΙΟΥ ΑΡΕΟΠΑΓΙΤΟΥ
34 Skoufa St.,
34 Skoufa St.,
This stately church that stands dominant at a central location of the "posh" district of Kolonaki, on Skoufa street and opposite to the Experimental School of the University of Athens, is dedicated to the bishop and patron saint of Athens, Aghios Dionyssios the Aeropagitis, considered to be the first official of ancient Athens to convert to Christianity.
On the location of the present day church there was another smaller one, which started to be constructed in 1880 and was demolished in 1900 in order to erect this larger one. Construction work started in 1925 and was completed in 1931, when the inauguration was carried out by the Archbishop Chrysostomos.
This is a cross-in-square church with a large dome, following the neo-baroque style, and is characterized for its neoclassical elements in its exterior. Its plans were made by the architect and Byzantinologist Anastasios Orlandos, who was also responsible for the supervision of the construction, which were completed with the contribution of the architect Dimitrios
Some of the most important artists of that time worked for the decoration of the church, such as the painter Spyros Vasileiou, who painted the icons, Sotirios Varvoglis and Stefanos Xenopoulos, responsible for the mosaics, and Theofanis Nomikos, one of the best wood-carvers, who made the woodwork. The architect Georgios Nomikos, brother of Theofanis, was responsible for the general supervision of the interior and exterior decoration. They also made the impressive, and unique for Greece, wooden chandelier of the church.
In recent years, due to the extensive renovation work that took place at the Metropolis of Athens due to damages caused by the 1999 earthquake, Aghios Dionyssios was used as the official seat of the Archbishop of Athens, thus as the cathedral for all official ceremonies.
The church celebrates on October 3rd.
For a page with Basic Architectural Terminology, including terms used in the description of the ancient Greek temples and the Orthodox churches of Athens, click here!